Caramelised Red Onion Tartlets
You can make one large tart or several small ones. This tart is great warm or cold. The Dukkah rolled into the pastry gives a crunchy spicy taste. You can make your own pastry for this recipe as well.
- 3 large red onions, sliced thinly
- 1 tbls unsalted butter
- 30mL Pukara Estate Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp chopped thyme leaves
- 60mL Pukara Estate Caramelised Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tbls Pukara Estate Macadamia and Chilli Dukkah
- 375g ready rolled Puff Pastry
- 100g Feta Cheese, crumbled
- 1 egg, beaten
How to Cook
In a large pot, heat the butter and olive oil. Add sliced onions and cook until soft and just turning golden, stirring frequently. Add the Caramelised Balsamic and stir well. Cook for a further 5 minutes, add the thyme leave, season and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
Pre-heat oven to 200C. Slice the sheet of pastry in half and cover one side with Dukkah, place the other sheet on top and roll out to previous size, roughly 10mm thick. Grease a pastry-baking dish well and cover with pastry, cutting off any excess, prick bottom with fork.
Fill tart with onion mixture, cover evenly and crumble over feta cheese. Prick with a fork all around the edges and egg wash edges. Bake for 25 minutes or until pastry has turned golden. Serve warm with a green salad.